Monday, January 13, 2014

Quaker Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix Review


These prepackaged cookie mixes are an effective way to have cookies in a short amount of time and save money when compared to buying cookies that are already made. For about $3 a package and an yield of about 45 cookies (they say 60 cookies on the package but in reality those cookie sizes are tiny!), it is very economical in terms of how many cookies you can make. In addition to the economics of the mix, it is also simple to make too.
All you need is eggs, butter and milk/water to get the batter going. Personally, I find that there isn't much nutrition to the mix, so I added some rolled oats to it too to help add some fibre to the mix. Using parchment paper, the cookies only took a few minutes to make.
The funny thing was this is my first time baking cookies with this baking mix. One lesson I learned is that even if it says mix the mix well, you need to keep mixing for a fair bit after the mix appears to be ready. I just mixed the batter until it had a certain consistency and then I put it in the oven. The mistake was that the sugar in the mix ended up in clusters so I had cookies that had sugar deposits in them.
That said, there are some downsides to this quick and cheap method of obtaining cookies. I find that the cookies themselves are very sweet. They contain a higher amount of sugar. The taste is also slightly generic tasting (like super market quality) cookies. If you are looking for a cheap and high yield way of getting cookies, I would recommend this product. Otherwise, it might be a better idea to make the cookies from scratch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment