Friday, December 6, 2013

Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot 小肥羊火鍋連鎖店 (METROTOWN/Burnaby)

  It's one of the coldest days of the year, and my friends and I never tried this hotpot place that we always see ontop of CIBC so we decided to give it a try.
   When we entered it seem relatively empty, we were greeted by the waiter and taken to our seats. There, he gave use three menus, their regular, All You Can Eat (AYCE) and specials. The regulars seem to be fairly priced at about 6 to 10 for entrees (for lunch" but the portions sound small so we decided to go for the
AYCE option. 
    I must say, at $19.95 for adults and $14.95 per person and the strict rules such as no unfinished foods over 250grams and a limited eating time of 1.5hr, it was strange but we decided to give it a try anyway.
    For starters, there wasn't many varieties of things to add to your hotpot that you can choose from. There were a few mushroom, meat, fungus (I'm not sure why they call it that but I'm sure someone just directly Google translated it), and a few fish and vegetable options too. In general though, there weren't as many options as I thought there would be.
    Furthermore, you would imagine that for $19.95, the broth would be included, but it costs an extra $10. We decided to order the spicy broth. There was alot of chinese herbs inside of the broth/soup and at one point it looked like there was a lady bug (but I know it's an herb) in there.
   When the things we ordered came, the portions were pretty big, such as the pork (which was like 30 pieces for one plate when they said that each plate only comes with 10). The vegetables also came in a basket. There were somethings that looked funny and tasted funny too that came.
   One of the funny tasting things was the seafood sui mai. The wrapping looked sort of like play dough and it tasted like mochi... Also, I found that the chicken was slightly funny tasting too. It didn't taste bad, but was slightly funny. 
    That said, there were some things that came that were good tasting too, like the pork was pretty good tasting. 
    The broth, when it came was pretty good too. Though, I'd imagine the sodium levels are abit high in these dishes. Personally, I found it very spicy and once I took the first sip, I started sweating immediately. In summary, I would not recommend coming here if you are vegetarian because they don't have vegetarian broth, otherwise, besides the price, the place is acceptable.








Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot 小肥羊火鍋連鎖店 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment